An air of anticipation filled the room at the Bomanite Annual Awards for 2022 Bomanite Decorative Concrete Projects, held last week in Houston, TX. The Bomanite Licensee concrete craftsmen and artisans gather annually to learn hands on new trade techniques, new Bomanite products, business strategies, and exchange ideas and tips with Bomanite Licensees from everywhere. However, the culmination of all that hard work, camaraderie, and new knowledge is the awards presentations.
With a vast knowledge and years of experience, these Bomanite Concrete Craftsmen define decorative concrete. Strong. Durable. Artistic. Creative. Bomanite Licensees work on anywhere from multimillion-dollar commercial projects to affordable residential housing, new builds, and improvements, and everything in between.
Musselman and Hall Contractors, LLC received the 2022 GRAND AWARD for Best Bomanite Exposed Aggregate Systems Project for their exceptionally challenging project at the Omaha Riverfront Revitalization in Omaha, NE. The daunting challenge for this project was the degree of difficulty using our Bomanite Exposed Aggregate Systems and 8,200 SF of Bomanite Revealed bonded overlay over existing walls and stairs to reconstruct three urban parks along the riverfront. Dan Kroesen of Musselman and Hall Contractors said, “This project challenged us to think and work creatively to build a project we take great pride in.”
Musselman and Hall Contractors, LLC also captured the 2022 Gold Award for Best Bomanite Custom Polishing Systems Project for MCPL Green Hills located in Kansas City, MO. They exceed the goal of this project which was to create a seamless design between the interior Cafe and the outdoor patio. That concept ultimately resulted in a cast-in-place bench that is bisected by a glass curtain wall separating the Café from the exterior patio. Using Bomanite Renaissance, with deep grind, they placed and polished 2,200 SF of flooring in the Library Café and installed an 1,800 SF patio outside to match the aesthetics of the interior flooring.
And to top off their trifecta of awards, Musselman and Hall Contractors, LLC received the 2022 Gold Award for Best Bomanite Specialty Project for Rolla University Drive Realignment in Rolla, MO. Using Bomanite Sandscape® Texture they constructed a large 15,000 SF oblong roundabout decorative concrete island. They then created a 15” hexagon template to Sandblast the color hardener from the surface in a very specific pattern. The Sandblasting alone took two weeks and required a high level of detail and workmanship to Sandblast the linear hexagon pattern around an oblong roundabout without misalignment of ending and stopping points.
Heritage Bomanite took home the 2022 Gold Award for Best Bomanite Toppings Systems Project for NX Restaurant in Fresno, CA. Utilizing the Bomanite Patène Artectura System, they created very intricate interior flooring consisting of 2,865 SF of custom color and brass terrazzo strips installed with incredible accuracy to make them look like continuous lengths. Polishing was completed once an artist had applied the concrete stain to create the ocean effect of waves lapping onto a sandy beach.
Carolina Bomanite Corporation earned the 2022 Gold Award for Best Bomanite Imprint Systems Project for Wilson Center for Nature at Grandfather Mountain in Linville, NC. This popular tourist destination is located about halfway up Grandfather Mountain and the project doubled the size of the original Nature Museum. The installation began in the early spring and was on a tight schedule for completion before the tourist season beginning in early summer. The crew often encountered fog, sleet, snow, freezing rain and bright sunshine all in the same day. The pattern chosen was Slate Texture and the project also highlights Custom Patterns of Deer, Racoon, Bear, Eagle, and Turkey Prints.
We’d like to thank all the Bomanite licensed contractors who submitted entries for this year’s award contest. The Bomanite Decorative Concrete Annual Project Awards has been a tradition for more than 50 years for Bomanite Licensed Contractors to submit their outstanding projects. Bomanite Licensees compete among the best of the best to be recognized for their hard work and creative talents. The winners are announced at the Bomanite Annual Conference, held in various cities from year to year. This is a taste of artwork and craftsmanship in the decorative concrete market that can only be achieved by the Bomanite Licensee network of decorative concrete craftsmen. Additional awards were given for Silver, Bronze, and Honorable Mention categories.
2022 List of Bomanite Award Winners
Bomanite Imprint Systems
- BRONZE: Bomanite of Tulsa, Inc. – TTC Lemley Phase III Entry Package – Oklahoma – Bomacron Pattern: 6” x 6” Granite Setts
- SILVER: Concrete Arts – Private Residence – Wisconsin – Bomacron Pattern: Step Faces: Custom Form Liner; Flat Areas: Regular Slate
- GOLD: Carolina Bomanite Corporation – Wilson Center for Nature at Grandfather Mountain – North Carolina – Bomacron Pattern: Slate Texture,
Custom – Deer, Racoon, Bear, Eagle, and Turkey Prints
Bomanite Toppings Systems
- BRONZE: Jeffco Concrete Contractors, Inc. – Pelham High School – Alabama – Bomanite Toppings Systems – Micro-Top
- SILVER: Heritage Bomanite – Private Residence – California – Bomanite Toppings Systems – Micro-Top
- GOLD: Heritage Bomanite – NX Restaurant – California – Bomanite Patène Artectura Systems
Bomanite Specialty Project
- BRONZE: Heritage Bomanite – Clovis Community Hospital Bedtower Fountain – California – Bomanite Specialty Project – Specialty Walls
- SILVER: Stephens & Smith Construction Co., Inc. – Behind Bars – Nebraska– Bomanite Specialty Project – System: Micro-Top
- GOLD: Musselman & Hall Contractors – Rolla University Drive Realignment – Missouri – Bomanite Specialty Project – Bomanite Sandscape with Sandblast
Bomanite Custom Polishing Systems
- HONORABLE MENTION: Texas Bomanite – The Epic Phase II – Texas – Bomanite Custom Polishing Systems – Patène Teres
- BRONZE: Texas Bomanite – Hines at the Stack – Texas – Bomanite Custom Polishing Systems – Patène Teres, VitraFlor
- SILVER: Premier Concrete Construction, LLC – 100 Forge – Massachusetts – Bomanite Custom Polishing Systems – Modena TGE
- Bomanite Custom Polishing Systems – Renaissance
Bomanite Exposed Aggregate Systems
- HONORABLE MENTION: Connecticut Bomanite Systems – Chamberlain Elementary School – Connecticut – Bomanite Exposed Aggregate Systems – Sandscape
- BRONZE: Colorado Hardscapes — Lone Rock Retreat – Colorado – Bomanite Exposed Aggregates Systems – Sandscape
- SILVER: Colorado Hardscapes – Republic Plaza – Colorado – Bomanite Exposed Aggregate Systems – Sandscape Refined
- GRAND AWARD: Musselman & Hall Contractors, LLC – Omaha Riverfront Revitalization – Nebraska – Bomanite Exposed Aggregate Systems – Revealed